Friday, June 4, 2010

"And now I give unto you a commandment that what I say unto one I say unto all"... I get it!!


This particular verse is found in Doctrine and Covenants 61:18 and there are others that contain this similar phrase. You'll find them in:
Doctrine and Covenants 93:49
Doctrine and Covenants 82:5
Doctrine and Covenants 92:1
Joseph Smith - Matthew 1:46

Lately, around the Freeman home, I find myself repeating myself.
Example:
I am in the kitchen and suddenly hear wild laughter and squealing coming from the living room. I enter the room to investigate. There, I find my child gleefully jumping from the sofa to the love seat to the chair. And so it begins...
Child 1 is jumping on the living room furniture.
I say," Please don't jump on the furniture! Get down!"
Child 1 obeys and gets down.
Child 2 who was playing with Child 1 but was not observed jumping on the said furniture at the time of scolding begins to jump on the furniture.
I say, "Get down! Jumping on the furniture is not allowed!"
Child 2 obeys and gets down.
Child 3 enters the room during scolding of Child 1. Observes Child 1 and 2 then proceeds to jump on the furniture.
I say, "Didn't you just hear me tell your siblings NOT to jump on the furniture?! Get down!"
Child 3 obeys and gets down.

I hereby pledge to make a greater effort to heed to the counsel given to one that is intended for all... I get it!

5 comments:

ESN said...

lol! That is so funny and sadly oh so true.
What are you doing blogging in the middle of the night?

Nicole said...

Oh yes, blogging in the middle of the night... I have found the midnight hours to be the most productive time of my day... actually, Spencer's allergies have been troublesome and he usually awakens sometime during the night to which I must administer to him and once he is soundly asleep once more - I am WIDE AWAKE!

HailerStar said...

I wonder if it would make a difference if you enforced some sort of rule where if one of them broke the 'rule for all' then all of them had to lose a privilege for it? That way, if it worked, they'd keep each other off the furniture for not wanting to lose fun things. (maybe wishful thinking, tho).

Six Boy's Dad said...

I understand. (11:31pm)

Lisa said...

Love the scripture application and I know what you mean. What is it about living room furniture that's so tempting to kids? Sometimes I feel like a broken record telling them to get off the couch. You'd think at least my six year old would have the desire to obey.