Wow, how many hits over the head does it take for one to finally get the picture? Too many. Oh... where do I begin?
HIT #1
On a pretty consistent or persistent basis, Darrel graces me with useful tidbits. For example:
Overweight and obese women have been told to exercise for 55 minutes per day, five days a week, in order to lose weight.
or
when I belly ache about wanting to go out for date night his suggestion is, "let's go to the gym!"
He's been doing that since I had the boys. They are 2 1/2. No change.
HIT #2
Repeatedly, I look in the mirror and don't really recognize the figure standing before me. When did my face become so ROUND! It use to be long and somewhat slender.
That has been 8 months now. No change.
HIT #3
I would think about my strategy and the idea of a BLITZ would come to mind.
Blitz - concentrated effort: a concentrated effort to get something done.
I kept visualizing myself working out daily, burning a high amount of calories and losing the weight in about three months. Nothing extreme, just a consistent workout and controlled eating habits.
That was months ago. No change.
HIT #4
Reading a friend's blog, she recently turned 30 and looks good for her age and is a mother of five. You wouldn't think she was either. In looking at her and reading that she had been going to gym and working out, I said to myself, "I want to look good for a 31 year old mother of four ".
That was weeks ago. No change.
HIT #5
I bumped into a friend that I haven't seen for a while. For the first time, I thought to myself, "Oh, please don't think I'm pregnant because I'M NOT!" I was embarrassed to walk up to her in fear that she would congratulate me.
That was last week. No change.
HIT #6
I read another friend's blog and she has started running again. I felt all of what she was saying about putting on extra pounds after the kids and not getting rid of it. I thought, "I am a wimp... when did I become a wimp when it comes to physical activity and fitness?" I talk about losing weight but talking about it is doing nothing good for my figure. She recommended a book - Ultra Marathon Man Confessions Of An All-Night Runner by Dean Karnazes. I picked it up from the library.
That was Monday. It started the change.
HIT #7
Darrel and I were unwinding together after a long day and we were talking about a multitude of random things. Michael Jordan was one on our list. As a teenager I idolized Michael Jordan. I had posters of him all over my room, I wore his jersey, I made a leather Chicago Bulls winter coat in my fashion design class and did many other obsessive things. So, tonight when I discovered that Mike and I have something in common... I wasn't exactly flattered. Can you guess what it is? Check out Wikipedia and you'll see.
Hint:
Mike is 6 ft 6 in,
I am 5 ft 9 in,
and we both...
This was tonight. I ran on the treadmill for 55 minutes and I read chapter 1 of Ultra Marathon Man.
Yet another friend (who is doing P90X) told me to visual myself as I want to be. I should even find a picture of someones body and cut out a picture of my head to put on it. If it wasn't so late I would do that right now too.
Here are a few I'm considering:


Florence is pretty inspiring as well...

or this lady...

Point is, I have to stop the thinking and start the doing.
Thursday, July 31 is when I started to change. I hope to see encouraging results by October 31. I'll be keeping a personal log to track my own progress.
Good luck to all of you striving to look, feel and be healthier.
Special thanks to my Husband and all my friends who have inspired me to change and oh, thanks Mike.
9 comments:
That is great NIcole. I'll join along. I was doing so well the beginning of the year and then.... you know the story, it's the same one every time!
Wait until you get to the part about Dean doing his first 100 miler. That right there was when I was like... Oh, so it's ok to keep going when it gets uncomfortable? It's ok to keep going when my breath gets a little labored?
Good luck!!!!
Good luck girl! And the family picture is adorable! What a beautiful family!
Sounds great Nicole--you have some very inspiring pictures! I've always heard that exercise is supposed to help you need a little less sleep--that is my motivation as I have been very sleep deprived this summer as well and am looking for all the extra I can get!
Good luck Nicole!! You can do it!! It gets easier as you go!! Don't get down on yourself so easily. You have 4 kids under 3 years old right? That is crazy!! You must be exhausted! I love the picture of Michael Jordan. I am still obsessed with him. Haha!
Good job Nicole! Keep it up.
Yes, I am exhausted but I don't really see an end to that era. I'm doomed to eternal exhaustion!
Your words are inspiring. They may help motivate me to start using my treadmill again. *I totally understand the 'who is that in the mirror' thing. I haven't liked what I see in the mirror for a little over a year now. *ie. my daddy's double chin does not look good on me!* Thanks for the pick-me-up.
Good luck with your goals!
Heather Roberts Halliday
You have always been an inspiration to me in so many ways. We really miss you guys! Good luck. I hope you reach your goals.
Post a Comment