Tuesday, February 21, 2012

"Que Sera Sera"

"Life is not fair or equal. Notwithstanding our best efforts, things rarely, if ever, turn out exactly the way we would expect, predict, or desire. Life is full of great surprises, both happy and sad. Nevertheless, I stand by my assertion that you are really and quite completely in control of those things of ultimate importance."

Great talk here. The above quote and following quotations come from President Cecil O. Samuelson's BYU devotional address dated 8 September 2009.

What are those things of ultimate importance?

Consider these three things that President Samuelson notes:
First, I mention your relationships. These include your relationship with your Father in Heaven and His Son Jesus Christ.Your family, although possibly imperfect in some ways, also encompasses a series of relationships of vital importance. Because we are all children of Heavenly Father, we must have high regard for and good relationships with others. The last relationship of importance I will mention to you is with yourself. Be honest with yourself, including your failings, mistakes, and deficiencies, but also remember who you are.
Second, your covenants are of utmost importance both now and forever. Keeping them is a fundamental component of your integrity and of your relationship with heaven.
Third, handling your commitments now and in the near future, including the rest of your mortal life, will have a great impact on who you are and what you will become.

"As I conclude, let me again reflect with you on the popular song of more than 50 years ago, “Que Sera, Sera.” With great apologies to Ray Evans and Jay Livingston, who wrote the words to this piece, and because I am certainly not a composer of either lyrics or music, I would like to suggest a final verse just for us here that might clarify my views on our futures:"

Now that I’ve grown older,
The future’s more clear to me.
Some things I can’t predict or control,
But I can become what I need to be.


Thanks, Tiff for sharing this BYU Devotional talk by David Paxman titled Zoram and I: Getting Our Stories Straight dated July 27, 2010. That talk led me to this talk by President Samuelson. Both full of truth and perspective that I needed to review and ponder over.

Listen/watch the song here by Doris Day.

The following pics are not related to my post :)
They are of one of our favorite places, "THE MAGICAL GARDEN" aka the Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens




2 comments:

Tiffanie said...

You're Welcome!!! Love you Hna

kathy said...

Hunter and I were looking at those pictures the other day of the garden and we both agreed, that we like going there. It was a fun afternoon! Miss you guys!