Sunday, February 26, 2012

Breathe



Just within the last hour... maybe two hours, I have become real tense. I need to relax. I came to the computer as an outlet. Why so tense? Well, I made dinner. That should say it all. Throughout the process of making dinner (and it is SUCH a process) I had five individuals clamoring for my attention with varying requests. The most popular being, "I'm hungry! What can I eat?" "Mom, can I help?"

I felt overwhelmed in the moment as I was trying a new recipe... Pork Chops. I've never made them before (mild confession). I get nervous when I try new things in the kitchen. I don't have a lot of confidence in cooking and I pretty much expect perfection on the first try which never happens (I know, totally unrealistic). I happen to be talking to my mom while cooking (yes, I can still multi-task) and I made the comment, "the pan is smoking" to which she replies, "then the temperature is too high, turn it down." To which I respond, "OH!" completely clueless as to why the pan is smoking and even more clueless that turning the temperature down would resolve that issue (yes, you may laugh, I will at some future point too). Plus, on a good night, if a child or children exclaim, "Yuck! I don't like this! Do I have to eat it?" I want to throw up my hands and roll my eyes.

So, if I have labored over dinner (more than usual) because I am trying something new, and a child or children exclaim "Yuck... " (well, you know the rest) then I REALLY want to throw in the towel at that point. Luckily, no one said that tonight but I was still so tense after dinner. I need to relax (did I say that already?) Cooking stresses me out. I have figured that this is where the whole "weak things are mad strong" comes in. I am definitely weak in the kitchen and hopefully before my journey ends here on earth I can get it together and make this a strength. Oh, the trials of life.

For all of you chefs out there, know that I totally admire your talent and really respect your abilities to whip up such delicious and yummy dishes. My kids rejoice when I don't burn the pancakes.

Once again... Pic not related to post but it did make me smile.

4 comments:

kathy said...

Don't worry I can't cook either!! It is definitely my weakness and I have heard some yucks around here. I try to keep it simply because of my lack of cooking abilities. Thankfully Mike is a wonderful cook and he does a lot of the cooking when he is home.

iamenough said...

LOL well at least you don't burn popcorn anymore ;) I've never made pork chops either.... but seeing as Mom made them quite a bit when we were growing up I probably never will, right up there with Pot Roast (((shivers and shakes))). However I made ribs for the first time the other night and I understand your pain. I want PERFECTION! And I definately don't want to hear "yuck". Thank goodness it turned out great with some pointers from my Hubby (who is a cook). I should send you some of my tried and true recipes that are simple and always receive the respone.... "Is there more of this Mommy?" Just remember practice makes perfect and to take your time (when you have the time). I love cooking, but using new utensils or ingredients that I have never used or cooked with make me especially nervous :(

iamenough said...

Oh yeah funny story when I made the ribs. Mya and Riyah went to the grocery store with me and told their Dad when we got home,how I asked at least 10 shoppers and employees about... what this direction met, can I use canned instead of this?, where can I find fresh garlic? how do I cook that? To say the least we were in the grocery store for quite sometime while I put my 3 rib recipes into one. Three because there were things I didn't understand from one or was trying to speed up the process by substituting directions from another. LOL

Tiffanie said...

since we have the same brain waves, I thought I'd tell you to go look at my blog post for today - it worked like a charm! The only catch is I hate to have cookies around the house, so hopefully I can keep myself in control so I can have cookie bribes around the house so I don't loose my cool when the kids hate my dinner meals.