Growing up, I knew families that I wished and hoped to be a part of one day because I felt this sense of security and love about them. They were essentially "model" families to me. Now, I know no familiy is perfect but I give my applause to those moms and dads and children who actively contribute to the single effort of having a happy familiy. It takes A LOT of work.
For as long as I can remember, I have wanted nothing more than to be a wife and a mother. I had fairytale images of the man I would marry, our dazzling wedding, our loving marriage, our amazing children and awesome gatherings with the cousins and grandparents. I have held on to my "Little Girl Dreams" with all my might. Over the years, as I matured from little girl to young woman to a woman of thirty-one, I have seen my dreams come true and in other ways they "seem" to have been dashed to pieces.
The source of my discomfort lies within the relationship of my parents. Both of my parents are good people. They are talented and have accomplished great things in their life. To begin, they created a family. There is so much responsibilty in beginning a family. Growing up in ours, there were good times with fond memories and bad times with bad memories. Ups and Downs... the eb and flow of family life. I suppose too much eb and flow contributed to my parent's seperation in 2004. I may not be a child in age but I am a daughter to my parents and as a daughter, I have longed to have my mom and my dad in my life as one positive, working unit. That is not so. Especailly as an adult, I have struggled with their seperation and where that leaves me. I have questioned and doubted them and at times lost faith in them. With their marriage disolving, I ask myself, where is my foundation? Where is my security? Where is my hope for the ideal family?
I don't have all the answers but I have been reminded of wise counsel:
"Anyone who imagines that bliss is normal is going to waste a lot of time running around shouting that he has been robbed. The fact is that most putts don’t drop, most beef is tough, most children grow up to be just ordinary people, most successful marriages require a high degree of mutual toleration, and most jobs are more often dull than otherwise. Life is just like an old time rail journey ... delays, sidetracks, smoke, dust, cinders, and jolts, interspersed only occasionally by beautiful vistas and thrilling bursts of speed. The trick is to thank the Lord for letting you have the ride." (President Gordon B. Hinckley)
When I think of my parent's seperation and likely divorce, I do run around and shout, "I've been robbed...". Instead, I should embrace the good, count my blessings, and while all is not good, all is not bad either.
I am a long way from getting the trick right. However, little by little, bit by bit, I'll make my way to where I need to be.
Here are some of my "Beautiful Vistas":
Cousins! Spencer and Sariah
Racing Nic
Speed Racers Daryl and Corey
7 comments:
I realized recently that I have spent too much time shouting, "I have been robbed" as well. No one wants to be a mom more than me but it seems that everyone else gets too. I have often wondered what God thinks of me - does he not believe he can entrust me with these precious spirits? Do I not have something to offer these little ones? I just recently took a step back and decided that I am a daughter of God - that because of that I chose to come to earth and because of that, there will be trial. So come what may, let us hold to that which is real. The Gospel, our eternal marriages, our families, no matter how diverse, and our testimonies! You are one in a million.
Thank you for sharing something so personal. I really appreciate your words.
I was talking with Elena on the phone yesterday and we both said what an amazing person you are. You are geniunely a strong, strong person and a lot of people look up to you for that. Divorce is yucky. My parents have both been married multiple times and I know that nobody suffers more than their own children. Having a family of your own is great because you can create good memories within the walls of your own home.
Thank you for sharing your thought son family. I know too well the disappointment of shattered dreams. I also know how important family is. I grew up with close cousins that were more like siblings. Now I do my best to be the best aunt I can be in my nieces lives!
Hi Nicole! I always knew you were a gem. I agree with both you and President Hinckley. We all have difficult and even heartbreaking things happen in our lives. And sometimes it's hard (at least for me) to be optimistic in the face of these hardships. But I know Heavenly Father loves His children and wants good things for us, so I try to recognize and cherish the blessings I have in my life, cause there sure are alot!
Hi Nicole! It was so good to hear from you. Four kids ... Wow! How exciting and wonderful. They are beautiful and I am so happy for you.
You're kids are so cute! I wish I could see them in person. I bet they're that even that much cuter. Isn't being a mom so much fun. I'm loving it. It definitely makes the long pregnancy worth it!
Post a Comment