Monday, April 21, 2008

President Thomas S. Monson



On April 5, Thomas S. Monson was sustained as prophet, seer, revelator and president of our church (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) during a solemn assembly of Church members worldwide.

Henry B. Eyring was sustained as first counselor and Dieter F. Uchtdorf as second counselor in the First Presidency – the highest governing body of the Church.





The new First Presidency was named and introduced to the media in February but were officially sustained by Latter-day Saints worldwide Saturday during the first session of the Church’s annual general conference.

The following is a portion of the First Presidency Messgae from the April 2008 Ensign. President Monson has a wonderful way of sharing personal stories and teaching gospel principles. Here he shares an experience from his boyhood and gives us three pieces of valuable information to help us along our journey in life. He says:

"When I was a boy, I enjoyed reading Treasure Island, by Robert Louis Stevenson. I also saw adventure movies where several individuals had separate pieces of a well-worn map which led the way to buried treasure if only the pieces could be found and put together.

I recall listening to a 15-minute radio program each weekday afternoon—Jack Armstrong, the All-American Boy. As it began, a voice filled with mystery would emanate from the radio: “We now join Jack and Betty as they approach the fabulous secret entry to the elephants’ burial ground, where a treasure is concealed. But wait; danger lurks on the path ahead.” Nothing could tear me away from this program. It was as though I were leading the search for the hidden treasure of precious ivory.

At another time and in a different setting, the Savior of the world spoke of treasure. In His Sermon on the Mount, He declared:

“Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:

“But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:

“For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.”1

The promised reward was not a treasure of ivory, gold, or silver. Neither did it consist of acres of land or a portfolio of stocks and bonds. The Master spoke of riches within the grasp of all—even joy unspeakable here and eternal happiness hereafter.

I wish to provide the three pieces of your treasure map to guide you to your eternal happiness. They are:

1. Learn from the past.

2. Prepare for the future.

3. Live in the present.



I know President Monson has been called by the Lord to serve as the prophet on the earth today. I suppose I forget what it is like to not know that there is a prophet on the earth. It has been 19 years since I joined the church. April 30 will be the anniversary of my baptismal day. Since that day, my life has been better. I have a purpose for living that extends beyond the here and now. I know where I came from why I am here and where I am going. I have a knowledge of my Heavenly Father and an understanding that I am his daughter. I know the Savior and recognize that without his atoning sacrifice, I would not exist. Life is a gift. Eternal happiness is my goal. LEARN from the past. PREPARE for the future. LIVE in the present.

1 comment:

Tiffanie said...

Great post Hermana. That talk by President Monson was also given in General Conference of April 2003. I remember when Corey was applying to business schools 5 years ago, we listened to that talk on and it really hit me then and I've remembered it till now, that while we are striving to make a great tomorrow for ourselves (graduate school/business opportunities, whatever), we shouldn't sacrifice our happiness today for that awaited happiness that may or may not come tomorrow. Live in the Present! I also read this talk recently and thought "Treasure Map" might be a good name for the Child's book, since it has sections on past, present, and future. ...but now I'm thinking of calling my business "A.P. Family" - (I left you a message about it) Call me and we'll talk! Love ya!