Monday, January 12, 2009

TIME



"So frequently we mistakenly believe that our children need more things, when in reality their silent pleadings are simply for more of our time."
--President Thomas S. Monson

TIME...

I feel overwhelmed by this word. Throughout the day I spend time in the kitchen, cleaning messes, changing diapers, etc. I'm worn out! And then...the kids want my TIME.

"MOM, look at this!"
"MOM, help me do this..."
"MOM, let's do this..."

And I want time to myself. I have finally been able to get up early enough to have a couple of hours to myself in the morning. However, during the day I find myself wanting MORE ME TIME :) And of course getting up earlier means I am ready for bed by 7:30p.m. and the kids just got their second wind even though they should be going to sleep.

TIME...
limited
precious
valuable
useful
invested

I always imagined myself as the mother that gave her time graciously to her children. In a way that was fun for all. What am I missing? Feel free to respond. How do you give of your time? Is it fun for all? Or is it exhausting? In part, I think my frustration stems from my inability to stay focused on a single task for a long period of time. People say I am patient, but I am so NOT. I'm learning to be patient. With little ones around it is an absolute MUST. A work in progress.

Together Time:

Reading books
Watching movies
Art Projects
Riding Bikes
Baking
Car Rides
Walks
Dancing
Singing
Trampoline Jumping
Dressing up

"Enjoy the little things in life...for one day you'll look back and realize they were the big things."
-Antonio Smith

2 comments:

Al said...

A) Yea for a little girl! :D
B) I am operating on theory so I'm not exactly qualified to give this response, but I'm gonna give it anyway. :D I think moms who stay home with their kids are not just giving their time-they give everything. That being said, within the framework of home, I think it is a good thing for kids understand that unless someone is bleeding, don't pester mom when she's at the piano. :) Moms need a recharged battery in order to make the time with the kids something more than babysitting. Also, the kids need to know that they're loved, but that they aren't allowed into every aspect of mom or dad's life. I think a little grown up space is a very healthy thing.

But then, I'm the girl with no kids. :D Everything I've learned is from watching mom and my chiblings (Matt's hybrid children-and-siblings term for my brothers and sisters ;)

Stacey Mom said...

It was so good to see you for those few minutes on Sunday. I'm so glad we're friends!

I can imagine that your time is limited. I have always looked up to you, so my advice is limited. Lately I wake up and make sure that my thoughts are focused on this phrase. Today I am happy. It's made a big difference for me.

I'm so excited for your new little girl and your crazy move to Maine, and a little jealous. How fun!