Monday, February 23, 2009

You Just Don't Appreciate What You Have, Until You Don't Have It

This may tell you how much I use my Washer and Dyer... The washer is three years old and the belt burned off. I was doing laundry last Tuesday and on the fourth load of the day the washer started to squeak and smoke. When I heard the chain saw squeaking (I guess that's not a squeak but it did sound like some type of saw) I rushed downstairs wondering "what in the world is that?" I opened my laundry room door and found a room filled with smoke. I quickly opened the top of the washer and waited. Called the repair man in the morning who came on FRIDAY to show me the burned belt. The new belt is a special order (go figure) and he will be back on March 6th to fix it. MARCH 6th??? Wonderful.

If only we could afford a new one of these...

One of my dream appliances

I am grateful my mom lives close enough that I can have a laundry marathon at her house. The Laundromat is NOT an option!

2 comments:

HailerStar said...

I drool over that washer in your picture. Even at a price tag of a grand imagine how much easier those things would make life? Large enough to do more laundry at once. Do all the heavy stuff, like all the towels, at once. Just a beautiful, lovely, high tech functional machine.
Your story reminded me the time my friend and I were doing laundry in college. Our married friends let us come and use their machines one day while we hung out in their apartment. Well, Aimee dried her clothing and went off back to campus. I was on Josh's computer and started smelling an odd burning smell that he dismissed as 'just the dryer' and 'normal'. When I got worse I saw him walk into the room and open the dryer and out came this huge puff of smoke. It turned out when he'd fixed their broken dryer he'd mixed up the heating and the vent outlets/coils/plugs/something. Poor Aimee was very graceful about the whole thing - even drew a comedic picture of herself riding a flying dryer spitting flaming clothing. I would have been less graceful. And I never knew cotton that was burned actually looks like charred leather.
So that's what came to mind when you said your washer was smoking. Poor washer. I'm sorry it is beltless. And I totally agree that laundromats are no fun at all.

Jason and Jamie said...

March 6th is a long time! I can only imagine! Our washer broke last year for about a week and it was a long week! Hopefully the special part with come in sooner---thank goodness your mom lives close enough--a laundromat would be a nightmare!