
As we drive up the dirt road, a voice whispered, "You don't want to stay here".
I replied, "I'm tired and we can't afford anything else."
The voice repeated," You don't want to stay here."
I continued on, dodged pot holes and eventually reached the gate. I got out of the truck and walked into the office to check in.
Once more the voice whispered, "You don't want to stay here."
I completely ignored it and even though I felt uncomfortable with it, I PAID FOR THE ENTIRE WEEK!
As soon as she swiped my card through the machine, I felt my stomach start to churn and I knew I just made a BIG mistake. Darrel's first question was, "Did you pay for the whole week?" He too was having second thoughts while I was gone.
So, we set up shop. Two tents, two queen size air mattresses, six sleeping bags and equipment all unloaded and set up.
As I did this Darrel took the kids down to the lake. When he returned, I was concerned by the look on his face. It was completely unsafe for US to take our four little ones to the lake. There was no beach. No beach entry. Just land and then lake. JUMP IN!
Here's the kicker. After a long day of traveling, what is the one thing you look forward to? A shower! Well, in Maine, you have to PAY for your shower! Yes, metered showers. 25 cents for every 7 min. Now throw four kids into that equation who DO NOT like showers. Formula for disaster.
Bright and early Saturday morning I had both tents down, both air mattresses deflated and rolled up. All equipment packed back into the truck and off we went with NO REFUND. Policy.

Lucky for us we occupied the last vacancy at the SleepTime Motel. A little Mom and Pop place that worked out to be a huge blessing! Thanks to Mark and Lynn we have fond memories of Maine.
2 comments:
What an adventure! You're gutsy to even try camping for 4 littles.
That was a crazy camping experience! I"m glad you were able to find a nearby hotel!
Post a Comment