
I long for a simpler way of life. We don't have cable. Our four children sleep together in a queen-size bed. I visit the market once a week (for the most part) and shop in bulk. My cell phone does not have a camera or internet access. I don't disapprove of any of the "upgrades" to what I currently have. I just don't have them.
When I think about how important it is for parents and children to have sacred time together, I think of simple living. This is my goal in life. To create a home environment that fosters sacred time together. Playtime, chore time, meal time, learning, laughing and all the good stuff of life.
I want to teach and learn right along-side of my children. I want to make memories that will make a lasting impressions on them. When trials and troubles come in their lives, they will have these grounded, solid, foundation-based moments to remember that will see them through their storms.
We're working towards that home in the country. A garden. A flower patch. Open spaces. Beautiful landscapes. A place that you never want to leave unless you choose to and a place you can always come home to when you want to. No matter where we are physically, I hope Darrel and I can produce this type of environment for our children and grandchildren. I want to be remembered as the mother and grandmother who encouraged and provided sacred time together.

"Mitten Strings for God - Reflections For Mothers In A Hurry" is a book I found through a friend's blog this morning. I love the simplicity chapter beginning on page 34. The Author says,
"If I pause long enough to listen to my own inner voice, rather than heeding some external call to go, see, and do, I make better choices for us all."
This statement reminds me of Elder Oaks "Good Better and Best" talk from General Conference. As a mom, I (of all people in our family) need to be making better choices. "We have to forego some good things in order to choose others that are better or best because they develop faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and strengthen our families" (Dallin H. Oaks, “Good, Better, Best,” Liahona, Nov 2007, 104–8).
I want to develop faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and strengthen my family.
Recently, a gentleman who came to repair our washer (that is still NOT fixed) read my sign in the laundry room that reads:
Less is More.
He said, "Okay?" With a puzzled look on his face. But it is true even though all around us screams "MORE, MORE, MORE!"
I am finally learning this after 32 years of living. By having less, I have more to give. Here is an example; I am involved in two preschool coops. I would not change this year's experience because I have learned a great lesson and my children love their friendships so much. However, I would not do it again next year. Why? At the end of the day, I feel that I have nothing to give. I thought more involvement would be better for them and better for me but, in actuality it has not been a benefit for all of us. I am more cranky, more irritated, less patient and less loving by the end of the day. It's just too much. Too much of a good thing. Next year, I will choose better and even the best use of our time together. We'll enjoy the outdoors, the indoors, new sites and locations as a family. We will still make new friends and enjoy them but it will be in a different setting. Not EVERY Tuesday and Thursday for 2-3 hours in different locations for 9 months. "Less is More" for me.
I love how Ms. Kenison says, "We can choose simplicity over complication." We do have a choice! Isn't it grand!
Thank you Natalie for bringing this treasure to light for me. It's a gem.
So, there you have it and here are some pictures that make me feel good inside.
3 comments:
Wow, I love the book exerpt. (Did I spell that right?)
I have to agree. My husband brought home the most beautiful thought by Marjorie Hinkley the other day, this post made me think of it, I just have to share.
"I couldn't possibly have understood this when I was young like I do now. When we look back on decades of life we see that the seemingly insignificant things we do over and over actually weave the pattern of our lives. And if those small and simple things are good, we will end up having lived a fulfilling life - and that is a great thing!" 1 Nephi 16:29 And thus we see that by small means the Lord can bring about great things.
Thanks for sharing that quote! I love Marjorie.
Love the diapers pictures - why buy dominoes? Sometimes I wonder why I buy toys or games, cause they can make up their own that are better than store bought!
Post a Comment