Tuesday, August 23, 2011
We were visiting the Maine grandparents Monday evening.
"Oh, it was the first day of school, what did you learn?" asked MJ.
"Nothing" replied DC.
After returning home from work on Tuesday, Darrel asked NR,
"What did you learn today?"
"Nothing." replied NR.
"Nothing?" Darrel repeated.
"Nothing." NR assured him.
"Well, did you talk about George Washington?"
"Oh, yeah. He was the first President of the United States and his picture in on the dollar bill." NR informed him.
"Oh, so you did learn something." Darrel said.
"Yeah. I did." NR said.
Take note: you must ask a specific question in order to receive a more desirable answer.
This is how the day unfolded:
To The School Room! 9:00
The Pledge of Allegiance
Unit Study: US Presidents - George Washington Coloring sheet and review the facts
HandWriting Without Tears - The Letter "E"
Saxon Math - The Calendar and Pattern Blocks
SNACK -Applesauce and popcorn :)
Unit Study: LDS Presidents - Joseph and Emma
Charlotte Mason Style Language Lessons: "The Swing" poem by Robert Louis Stevenson
Geography: The British Isles - Facts about Big Ben
Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons - Lessons 1 and 2
When Darrel came home from work he read "The Swing" and taught the children about Big Ben while I prepared dinner.
We have a house full of artists. They all love drawing and coloring. CR suggested we hang our art work around the school room. Sounds good to me!
DC has come to me in the afternoon looking rather bored. She has even said, " Mom, what can I do now, I'm bored." There was a post I read on this blog that I need to review. I do not want to be the entertainer. I want them to use their own creative minds.
At the end of the day, the children are more exhausted (I can include myself in that scenario). We are all adjusting to our new schedule and hopefully by Monday we'll feel as if we have settled into our routine.
No comments:
Post a Comment