Monday, August 22, 2011
I have been pouring over my homeschool help books, homeschool blogs that I follow and anything pertaining to homeschooling in preparation for our school year. Finally, we started today, Monday, August 22, 2011. I say "started" because this is the first year I am required to report to the state. So, we will be documenting our studies and tracking our progress on a consistent basis.
The kids were sooo excited to begin. They got up extra early and CLEANED the school room. They even vacuumed! WOW! I was grateful to have my husband home on our first day of school. At the end of the day he admitted that he had a deeper appreciation for what I do and what we are embarking on as homeschooling parents... meaning it is a lot of WORK... with deeper rewards to match our efforts.
It was a rocky start as we juggled the younger children and tried to keep the older ones engaged in activity/instruction with little to no down time. Overall it was great! I was pleased to witness their enthusiasm and will pray that I can keep it fun, inviting and inspiring all year long.
I'm so glad we're homeschooling!
This is how our day unfolded:
Wake up
Get dressed
Breakfast
Morning Devotional in the living Room
Eight Before Eight Morning Routine (while Mom gets ready for school... last minute items)
Check off each child on completion of 8B48
To The School Room! 9:25
The Pledge of Allegiance
Unit Study: US Presidents - The White House Coloring sheet and review the facts
HandWriting Without Tears - The Letter "F"
Saxon Math - The Calendar and Pattern Blocks
SNACK - Fresh Fruit 10:30
Unit Study: LDS Presidents - The role of a prophet
Charlotte Mason Style Language Lessons: "Blackberry Picking" by James Clarke Hook
Geography: The British Isles - Map coloring page and book reading "B is for Big Ben" by Pamela Duncan Edwards. Illustrated by Melanie Rose
LUNCH 11:25
Recess (the children insisted that I specifically call their time outside to play - RECESS. It was too cute. Nicolas said, "Don't forget, Mom, we have to have recess." 12:30
Family bike ride 4:00
Dinner
Eight Before Eight Evening Routine
Now let us go to bed... get up in the morning and do it all again!
4 comments:
You still amaze me everyday!
"Handwriting Without Tears" is hands-down my favorite item on your schedule! What does your 8 before 8 routine entail? I'm intrigued.
I applaud you for homeschooling! What a lucky bunch of kids you have. Good luck with the school year!
You posted before about your 8b48 routine - can you refresh my memory on both the am & pm schedule?
Looks like FUN!
Post a Comment