Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Day THREE - Does that mean that she "tooted" a lot?

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

We are studying the British Isles. I continued to read to the children "B is for Big Ben".

"Q is for Queens
Six queens in all
Have sat on the royal throne.
Two of them were the greatest monarchs
that England has ever known."

We started to discuss who these great women of influence were. I started with Elizabeth Tudor. DC immediately had a puzzled expression on her face and then she innocently asked, "Does that mean she tooted a lot?" I couldn't conceal my laughter as I suddenly caught on to what she was thinking. When I explained that Tudor and tooted were completely different, we all had a good laugh. Learning can be so fun!

Here is how our day unfolded:

To The School Room! 9:35
The Pledge of Allegiance
Unit Study: US Presidents - George Washington An Adventure in Courage by Victoria Crenson and National Geographic Our Country's First Ladies by Ann Bausum
HandWriting Without Tears - The Letter "D"
Saxon Math - The Calendar and Bear Counters
Unit Study: LDS Presidents - Joseph and Emma

It was a beautiful day outside. The sun was shining, the temperature was moderate and there was a refreshing breeze. So, we took our studies outside and sat on the red blanket on the grassy lawn. It truly was a moment for my "Ideal Musings of Blissful Motherhood". I am thankful that I was able to capture that moment today.

Charlotte Mason Style Language Lessons: "Fuzzy Wuzzy, Creepy Crawly poem by Lillian Schulz
Geography: The British Isles - "B is for Big Ben" by Pamela Duncan
Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons - Lessons 3 and 4

I was inspired by the following quote we discussed today:

"I have learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances."
- Martha Washington

1 comment:

ESN said...

Oh that is hysterical!!! Tudor. Kids are awesome!
I also really love the quote by Martha Washington. So cool!
You are wonderful! Keep up the good work.