
On Monday, March 29, 2010 I awoke from my bed. My four-year old boys were already awake and playing as usual. With no preparation, no second thoughts, just spur of the moment decision... I announced to them, "This is it! You are finished with diapers!" They both looked at me with confusion. Espeically Nic. His expression seemed to say, "What do you mean... finished?"
After my announcement I removed their diapers and put them in underwear. And that was that.
Sure, we have had a few accidents but my boys have learned that walking, sitting and playing in wet underwear is not very comfortable and they would much rather be dry. Great!
Special note: The fact that my boys are four and were not potty trained has NOTHING to do with their ability to use the potty. Their mother (a.k.a. ME) was extremely reluctant and quite lazy. The thought of going out and doing my normal activities and having an "accident" was not thrilling. It's much easier to put on a diaper or pull-up and just change it at my convenience as opposed to being half way through my shopping and the announcement comes, "Mom, I have to use the potty!" Knowing that if I did not react in 5 seconds or less there would be a wet mess to clean. I can do messes at home but messes in public are so much more hassle oriented.
ANYWAY... I believe cleaning a poopy bottom of a four-year old finally got to me and I was tired of hearing,"Mom, will you change my poopy diaper!" It was more of a demand than a request.
So... where does the bucket come into play? That same fateful day, we went to Wal* Mart and I bought a little blue bucket. It was identified as the Pee Pee Bucket. It resides in the back of our Surburban and the boys LOVE IT! They gladly go when I ask them to and they think it is so fun to pee pee in the back of the truck using their special bucket.
I guess I should also mention that I have issues with public bathrooms. In our house, when one has to go we all have to go whether they are using the facilities or not. When your two-year old sucks two fingers and has crawled on the restroom floor numerous times then popped them back in his mouth before you can reach the sink... well, wouldn't you avoid them at all cost too?
So, this post is to celebrate three kids using the potty and two in diapers (totally acceptable) and Hail to the Pee Pee Bucket!
6 comments:
This is awesome! Great idea Mom! Remind me to tell you "the water bottle story" from girls camp a few years ago :)
HA! Good for you.
I know that you are not "lazy" though, that's the wrong word. Trust me I have been "lazy" with training my boys too. It's much harder when you have so many other places things, PEOPLE pulling at you. Potty training just takes a back seat. Congratulations on the finally deciding to go ahead "cold turkey"
God Bless You girl!
What a great idea with the bucket! Public bathrooms are the worst! Yeah to less diapers to change too!
Hurray for the blue bucket !
ESN says that with all the demands on a mother that potty traing can take a back seat. Well, you have given new meaning to having potty training take a back seat.
By the way, I love your blogs. I rate it right up there with Erma Bombeck. Have you been syndicated yet?
Thanks EDETR's Dad!
Post a Comment