Friday, May 1, 2009

April 30, 1989


Off and on yesterday, I was able to reflect upon this very same date 20 years ago. Twenty years ago! That hardly seems possible. However, on this day in 1989 I was baptized and confirmed a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I understood what I was doing. Prior to my baptism, I gained a testimony of Joseph Smith. I gained a testimony of the Book of Mormon. I felt the influence of the Holy Ghost and at the age of 12, I made the decision to be baptized.

I don't remember all the details and I am not trying to exclude anyone or any special memories by not mentioning everything. I just wanted to reflect upon the talk that Sister Mortensen gave on the Holy Ghost. I clearly remember her face and I remember how I felt as she spoke. There was an undeniable burning within me that further confirmed to me that I was in the right place, at the right time, doing the right thing. Ever since that day, I have had that burning feeling within. A confirmation from the Holy Ghost that I was in the right place, doing the right thing, at the right time.

The gospel of Jesus Christ has changed my life for the better. I understand how imperfect I am but, I know that God still loves me and allows me to repent and try again. It has been a wonderful journey. How grateful I am.

2 comments:

Six Boy's Dad said...

And the Church is a better place because of it.

20 years?! You must be pretty old... (I'll hit my 20 in Feb 2010, so who am I to talk)

HailerStar said...

*Huggles* I was twelve when I got baptized too! Granted that was in 92. I think there's nothing more peaceful than knowing you're doing something in the right place, at the right time. That you're doing something in God's time sort of makes things all right with the world and right within you.