Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Distance Makes The Heart Grow Fonder



I purposefully did not include a ticker on our blog to count down the days until I would see Darrel again. I just wanted to keep myself busy. Focus on the kids, organizing the house, exploring Maine. I am not very patient and I needed to distract myself. When people see that I have five children under five, they say, "Oh, you are so patient". But I am not. I am soooo impatient. I may have more patience with some things but overall... I am impatient. That's why I have five kids under five because I just couldn't wait ten years for them to all get here if we had them (sanely) spaced at two years apart.

ANYWAY, I knew I would torture myself if I put a ticker on our blog or made a paper chain. So, I didn't. Instead, I kept busy. I didn't complete or even begin a lot of the house projects I wanted but, I can say that the time has really flown by.

I miss him terribly. I realize that when we are together,I make a big deal out of minor issues. Let it go, Nicole! I hope that when I see him Friday, I will begin to appreciate him more than I ever have. He's a great man. Amazing in fact. He agreed to stay behind and work his buns off so that we could make it through grad school.

Distance does make the heart grow fonder. I do not want to repeat this experience and considering the fact that we have been married for seven years and have only been apart for...four days, we really haven't had the chance to see what life is like without the other. Now that I know - I REALLY want him back.

God made marriage for a reason. It works. It really is the best institution! I am a better Nicole when Darrel is here. He gives me balance and purpose (just to name two). That whole Jerry McGuire "You complete me" thing is true. I have been incomplete for 28 days. My hat goes off to all of you women who have husbands serving in the military and have been without them for a time. I commend you. 28 days... I would not last the months you have endured. People say to me, "Five kids! How do you do it?" I say, "Nine, twelve, eighteen or however many months! How do you do it?" Maybe our response is the same.



Friday, get here quick!

1 comment:

HailerStar said...

I totally hear that.
I've been away from Steve for about a month before when I flew to MD for the funeral and arrangement of my Nana's estate. It was supposed to be a week gone and then home to him again but didn't work out that way.
I hate being without him and he is the other half of my heart and a smile to my happiness. I just feel not whole when he's not there.
I agree with you as well that the military spouses do a tremendous job. I could not handle the time apart that they work through so diligently. I'd crumble and I know it.
Here's to husbands and being with them once more!