
After 21 days, I am back on line and I have a home phone!
"Cel-e-brate good times.. come on! Let's celebrate!"
Fun Fact: It has rained 18 out of the 21 days we have been here.
So, it is getting late. I want to blog the night away but that would really NOT be in my best interest. I am going to cut and paste a few words that I manage to record while off line and leave the rest for the days to come.
For anyone who has not heard from me in awhile, please don't take it personal. Besides my husband, I have only made phone calls to three other people - mom, dad and sister. Even though I have a cell phone, I do not receive coverage at all inside my home. This requires me to go outside and make a phone call. And remember, it has rained 18 out of the 21 days we have been here. Besides the fact that I look ridiculous talking on the phone in the rain outside of my home, I cannot leave my five children unattended because I am not bringing them out with me.

And Away We Go
The kids and I left on Thursday at 2:30 am. They woke up and asked me many questions about our adventure. Lucky for me, they were all asleep by the time we crossed into Delaware. I was tired but, with many prayers, we made it safe and sound. The kids slept until 9:30 then watched 1 movie and by 11:30 am we were pulling into our driveway with Burger King drive thru for lunch. Up until this point, our new house had been referred to as the Special House. When Nicolas saw the house for the first time, he called it The Yellow House and so it is now, Our Yellow House.
The Movers
I didn’t quite understand why people would have a moving sale. Why sell all your belongings before moving? Now I know and I have joined them in this brilliant endeavor. It’s because our movers (maybe yours are different) damaged some of our belongings and charged us two arms, two legs and a torso to move it. NEVER AGAIN! I could have Goodwilled ALL our belongings and bought All new for less than half of what they charged us. Experience is the teacher. We didn’t know, but now we do. Even though it was all we had, don’t ship IKEA furniture. Unless it’s an ABSOLUTE favorite get rid of your clothes, books, beds, shoes, linens… EVERYTHING! In 28 months when I have to move again, we will rent a U-Haul truck and what fits - goes and what does not – does not (we should have followed Gina and Andy’s example). Experience is the best teacher.
In addition, we were expecting this:

Instead, we got this:

As if the graffiti on the side of the truck was not enough to be concerned about. When the truck pulled in we knew we were in trouble. Our stuff is NOT going to fit in that truck! The guy came in and and was shaking his head when he saw our main level, then said, "That's it, right?"
Oh, no my friend. Needless to say, we left some stuff behind and had to get a second truck. NEVER AGAIN.
Rain
It rained when we moved three years ago and it rained this time too. Our boxes were wet, our mattress was wet, wet, wet, wet. Maine has received more than 9 inches of rain in the last month, 2 inches is normal. I don’t mind the rain at this point. I would mind it even less if I was dressed properly and had a real good rain slicker with some galoshes. I hope that is how I will feel about the winter and snow. I’ll just need a warm winter coat and a great pair of snow boots!
The Beach
We have had a few sunny days or partly cloudy where we went to the beach and that was fun! We live less than 15 minutes from the Atlantic ocean. It is simply marvelous! I have never lived this close to the beach and now I’m wondering…why? I love the sound of crashing waves on the beach, the smell of fresh salty seawater, the feel of the coastal breeze and to see blue sky out on the horizon for miles.
8 comments:
Hi Hermana! I'm glad your back online! And although you had a nightmare moving experience, I must say I am jealous... I'm really itching for a change, I'm even open to going international, I just want to get a move on something! I'm feeling like we're stuck in a twilight zone. Anyway, Maine looks great, it rained here a lot in June and I loved it - I'm thinking I'd like to move someplace rainy ~ Maybe we'll join you guys out there!
And hope you don't mind we used your baby's name. :) I was glad Corey finally found something he liked - she was "The new baby" for over a week after she was born.
Talk to you soon!
Your adventure sounds all too familiar. I am glad though that you are settling into "your yellow house".
I loved the little corner of Maine that we visited! I'm so excited for your adventure!
Glad to hear that you all made it safely to Maine---sorry some of your stuff didn't. I love the pictures of the ocean, it looks beautiful.
I'm glad to know you made it safely. I was checking your blog every week to see if you posted yet. Sorry the movers sucked. We've never had movers. Always done it ourselves. Granted, no one is as good at packing things in a truck like my Daddy. When he packs, it all gets stuffed in there but sort of like a Tetris puzzle. Things rarely get broken. Other people I know aren't so great at packing vehicles, like a lot of my husband's side of the family. It's a talent not everyone possesses.
I agree with ditching things when you move. I didn't do that when moving to AZ from MD. But I've reconsidered. Next time we move, if it's not in-state, I've a long list of furniture and things that can be sold or given away. Cept, I'd not give away my books or my clothes. I love those things. I have found though that for me, the best packing boxes come from the recycle bin at Borders Books. They're a singular standard shape, which makes them easily stackable. They fit books and movies well, and sometimes dishes and kitchen appliances even. And when we moved out here my Dad was able to stack them along the front wall of the moving truck, and then place the dresser up against them to hold them all in place. The things I don't like moving most are the wooden furniture. I love wood and it's rather disheartening to know that no matter what I wrap it in, blanket wise, it still gets scuffed and scratched (and I can't abandon the chairs cuz they've been in my family for years).
Glad to know you made it safe. Hope to see pix of your new house when you have the chance. And my sympathies on the cell phone issue. Few years ago I tried getting Sprint as a cell carrier, when living with my parents, and they told me there was a one mile dead zone around our house. The sales guy tried to play it off like 'you don't need your cell at your house anyways' Um, sorry dude. Needless to say, they didn't get my business.
Nicole, I just got your email. This is all so sad. Moving is just so stressful, let alone to have things break and weird movers. Man! Glad to see you took a stroll on the beach for a break from unpacking. Miss you guys already!
Glad to hear you got up there safe and sound. Well, kind of sound, sorry it was such a pain. Although, it's interesting to know that professional movers don't do much better than the Elder's Quorum. Oh well, hope to see you on here more now, and maybe some more pics of that new baby!
Hi Nicole:
We sure miss you here in Maryland.Thanks for keeping up your blog. We'll have to watch your kids grow from afar.
Enjoy!
Post a Comment