At Daryl's request, we went to Goughn's Farm to run throught the corn maze. We didn't find all the clues but we had fun trying.
When Lucas wears his backpack he has to hold his arms up in the air so that the straps don't fall off his shoulders. It's fun to watch him run now since he insists in wearing his backpack everywhere.
Below is the funny mustache! At the Dentist office the children each receive a token to redeem a special prize in the prize machine. Sometimes the kids get a bouncy ball, a parachute man or my all time favorite "the alien man" (not really). Well, Lucas made his selection and at age three he is still pretty new to how this all works but he wanted to do it by himself without guidance or direction. And so he chose... the MUSTACHE!!! Needless to say he was not happy. But Spencer and I had some fun with it.
In Maryland, we have friends who got me hooked on the violin. It also turns out that before I married we shared the same last name. When we first met, our children were babies and not ready for lessons. They were both musically talented and when we moved to Maine, their daughter began lessons in Suzuki. Daryl was at the right age to begin but we moved and were in graduate school. Suzuki lessons were not in the budget. As time progressed on and we moved further North, I did my research and found nothing for Suzuki in our region (sad face). Last year, I was chatting with another homeschooling mom from Canada, she told me about a fiddle group that her children were involved in... REALLY!? This was not Suzuki but it gave me hope. I remembered back to when I served my mission in Arizona and I was in the town of Queen Creek. This is also the time in my life when I decided that I was going to homeschool my children due to the amazing example and influence of three families I met there. Anyway, there was another great family in Queen Creek who were known as "the family who fiddles". We went to visit and have dinner with them one night and in their living room was a collection of fiddles hung on the wall. Fiddles so tiny (now I know it was probably 1/16) and full size fiddles with everything in between. As a special treat, they played for us. All the kids and their parents entertained us for a short time that evening. I didn't decide that my family would fiddle one day but I did think it was A-maz-ing. A great memory and another great family that set an example for me of what I could one day hope for my own family.
So... here we are 14 years after that experience and my family is going to fiddle!


No comments:
Post a Comment