Sunday, December 21, 2008

Washington DC Temple Visitor Center Christmas Lights and Concert


Moving on with more Christmas traditions. My mom and I took the kids to the Washington DC Temple Visitor Center to see the lights and a bell chior performance. Before I jump into the delights of the evening I must document THE EVENT that occurred prior to our outing.

I had been feeling tired and rather sick. I had no intentions of falling asleep but when you are pregnant and the mother of four... it happens! So, there I lay on the sofa, asleep. When all of a sudden I am startled by the sound of rushing water. The sound of a waterfall is more like it. Totally and completely unaware of what is going on I open my eyes to water falling from my living room ceiling through a recessed light fixture! There might as well have been a faucet in it's place because the water was streaming down as if there was. I hear squealing and loud laughter from upstairs and run the stairs two at a time. What do find? Daryl, Corey and Nicolas in my bathroom, soaking wet. Nic is sitting on the counter and water is spilling over the counter top onto the floor. I quickly turn the water off, grab as many towels as I can find and herd the children out of the bathroom.

An hour later, I had arranged to pick up a wet vac, and fan, had towels covering the living room floor trying to absorb the water out of the carpet and managed to stay relatively calm. Darrel was out of town for the weekend. I didn't bother to inform him of THE EVENT until he returned home. After all, what was he going to do?

I couldn't be upset with the kids. They were being kids. I am the one who fell asleep unintentionally and left them unattended. What's a mother to do. No one was harmed. The damaged can be repaired (for a price) but the most important thing is, we are all still alive and well. Did I laugh? No. have I laughed since? No. But maybe I will ... one day.

Of yeah, this post is about the Lights and the bell performance. We went, we say, we heard and loved it all.

What's not to love about Christmas lights, Christmas trees decorated from all over the world, a photography exhibit about the Savior, a live manger scene, and Christmas music with shiny gold bells!

1 comment:

The Long Family said...

That's a great story for the memory books!! And I am sure you will laugh about it one day!!!