Friday, April 24, 2009

5 Random Posts - Part 4



FABRIC

My name is Nicole Freeman and I am a Fabric Junkie.

It's in the jeans! Just for fun, I like to go to Jo Anne's to feel the fabrics. I am a very tactile person. I dream up projects all the time that either never begin or never have an end. I LOVE to sew and as a mother of small children that grand opportunity does not come around very often. I can still dream.

Here are a few of my fabric takes:

1. If you cannot afford real wood blinds (white) go for inexpensive sheers to cover your windows throughout the entire house to create uniformity and a nice clean look inside and out. There is something about the way white sheers filter natural light into a room that can make a room feel open and cool.

2. For the Home, I love velvet, corduroy, damask, and linen. Pillows are great for high textured fabrics as they provide variety and an additional wow for the senses, visually and to the touch. Linen draperies are classic. Damasks are great upholstery fabrics and they can be used at the window too for a real rich look.

3. For blankets, I love polar fleece and flannel. They are so warm and soft, plus, the more you wash it the more at home it feels. Cable knit is great for throw blankets to drape over the living room sofa.

4. Leather is great on furniture and very kid friendly when it comes to spills and throwing up, I am speaking from experience.

5. Stretch knit is THE best to wear. Oh, and spandex! I would wear knit and spandex ALL day if I could and it didn't embarrass myself or others.

6. Even though it is not a fabric, it's a soft textile made of natural and/or synthetic fibers - Carpet. I hate it. Wall-to-wall to be specific. However, I do love a good area rug. Shag...in natural tones.

7. I Can't stand to wear wool. Too itchy.

8. Silk is impossible to work with when sewing. Not a favorite. Beautiful but a pain.

9. My dream is to have a whole room in my house dedicated to design, sewing, crafts and any of my artistic interests. Within this room I have a wall of shelves with bolts of fabric! Neatly stacked and color coordinated.

CREATION. I love to create something out of nothing.

10. I would really enjoy quilting more. I like to make blankets but I need to work on my patience. As long I did not have a deadline to meet (like quilting for a birthday present or Christmas gift), I could enjoy quilting. I think it's the mixing and matching of different fabrics in various designs to create an overall masterpiece. It's art to me.

Fabulous
Astounding
Brilliant
Radiant
Irresistible
Calming

2 comments:

HailerStar said...

I loved this post. But it's probably because I spent a summer working in the fabric section at JoAnn's. I absolutely loved the colors and the textures and the different types of patterns.

iamenough said...

We are sisters! I was just talking about my fabric "habit". I love to just walk through Joannes and dream of what I could do with all the fabric too. It's relaxing. Ms. Mickey loves Joannes so much too that between the two of us Sahraiya is recognized when she comes in. I can never feel bad about our fabric obsession and one day we will have the sewing/design/craft room of our dreams!