Sunday, April 19, 2009

Looketh on the Heart



I am rather emotional right now, but even if I wasn't pregnant, I think this still would have stirred emotions within me. If you haven't seen Susan Boyle's performance on Britains Got Talent go here. I was reading Antique Mommy's blog and she posted it along with the scripture from 1 Samuel 16:7.

When I first met Darrel, I was 24 years old and it was the summer before my senior year in college. He was 6- months off the mission and about to begin his very first, EVER semester in college. Not only that I am 2 1/2 years older and nearly 3 inches taller. Back then, all those things meant something to me. It meant, he was nice but he was not the guy for me.

I must admit that I did not choose Darrel in the beginning. He chose me. When things started to change for us, I was still hung up on the physical features. I thought he was handsome, I was not crazy about his height. It is so trivial but at the time I was very shallow. I needed to pray about the whole idea. I could not see beyond the exterior. While in the Provo temple, I randomly opened up the Old Testament to 1 Samuel 16:7

"But the LORD said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the LORD seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart."

I was given my answer. Everyday, I thank the Lord for being so patient with me as I needed to grow up and mature a bit. I thank Darrel for being extremely patient and tolerant. If I had not chosen Darrel in the end, I would have missed out on such a wonderful life with a wonderful man. Darrel supports our family and allows me to be at home with our soon to be five children. He has completed his bachelor's degree in Nursing and is about to begin Graduate school in Nurse Anesthesia. He's a hard worker. He loves me. He loves the Lord. He loves our children. What more matters?

1 comment:

The Long Family said...

What a lovely post! You guys are true examples of what amazing things can happen when two people love each other and work hard together!